Sunday, February 13, 2011

I have confidence

I've seen The Sound of Music about 100 times and I love the song where Maria is sent from the convent and sings about all her confidence. Then she stands before the captain's "palace" and wavers, so overwhelmed by the magnificence of his estate.

Over Christmas I had 10 days off from work. I rested, spent time with loved ones, and just generally relaxed. I began to plan the rest of my life as my strength returned. I went back to work ready to exude confidence and retake my place in the world, but three days into the week, I was ready to go back to bed.

Last week I sat in a meeting and listened to individuals speak with confidence about their current projects, and I realized that I seemed to have lost my nerve. Me! I felt shy and afraid to open my mouth. The workplace has a certain rhythm, and I seem to have lost the beat. I guess like any production you have to practice. Learn the parts, the motivation of the characters, and maybe just for now, pretend to be sure of myself.

When I first started dating, my mother used to tell me to pretend I was Scarlett O'Hara. Scarlett was always confident and in control. I supposed I could use her again as a role model, but not sure when to use fiddle-de-dee in a business meeting. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Of course, whenever the dean proposes something you say 'fiddle-de-dee', with enthusiasm! Or you could use Rhett's line but that one might not go over as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could put a pine cone on everyone's chair.....

    ReplyDelete