Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cancer Recovery Part Deux

Slowly, I've been returning to normal, or as my friend says, I've been to returning to weird. Even a month ago I never imagined that I would feel as good as I currently do. Still struggling with neuropathy and sleep is iffy, but otherwise, not too bad. So you ask, my devoted readers (OK, reader), what's next?

Well, glad you asked. When I first was diagnosed, I read everything I could find and the more I read, the more overwhelmed and discouraged I became, so I stopped reading anything that didn't have a serial killer, clever detective, or Jane Austen on the cover. But now, I wanted to know, how do I stop this from happening again. Other forms of breast cancer have medicines that help, but triple negative comprises only 10% of all diagnoses and as yet, there are no preventative measures. My oncologist recommended Vitamin D and baby aspirin, but I wanted more. So I took up the internet again and discovered that the best results in non-recurrence came from diets low in saturated fat (which includes hamburgers, sigh), high in plant foods, and regular exercise (30 minutes per day, 6 days a week).

So I wanted to get serious about returning to health, shedding 3 or 4 pounds (or tons, whatever), building strength and changing some habits. So I joined a gym. Note, that I haven't actually gone yet, but they membership card is on my key chain. Next, I signed up for a program at Moffitt that includes 12 weeks of nutrition, exercise and weight management lessons. I've had 2 lessons so far and feel healthier already from having to write down all the food I eat. Let's face it, nobody wants to eat large quantities of junk if someone else is checking up on you.

Once you've had cancer, your risk of getting it again is 40% higher than normal people (that's what we call you folks that are cancer-free). I don't ever want to go through this again. If it happens, it happens, but not because I didn't put up a fight, kicking and screaming. I have hair now; I want to keep it.

1 comment:

  1. Wish you well in your new, very long, very healthy life Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete