Saturday, March 19, 2011

Liminal Space

Liminal space is loosely defined as being on the threshold of a new experience, situation, or if you want to get technical, existensial plan. That pretty much describes where I am right now. Realizing the old me is gone away, but not quite figuring out who the new me is just yet.

This was really driven home to me last week when I went on my annual Lenten retreat at the convent in St Leo. I've done this for about 10 years and it is always something that I look forward to, and come away refreshed and renewed from having spent several days in quiet reflection, meditation, prayer, and eating Thin Mints. This year, I was especially looking forward to seeing friends whom I hadn't seen since becoming sick.

Something, however, didn't seem to click. I left feeling tired and alienated and the rest of the week was a struggle to get rested up. My first thought was, time to move on. My second thought was, wait a minute, let's not get hasty.

I have had an urge since being given the "all clear" to change everything in my life. Quit my job. Move to Dubuque. Get an eyebrow tattoo (just one). The world seems a strange and scary place, especially when you're locked up in a convent without any thin mints. So I stepped back and said to my self, "Self, don't make any irrevocable decisions just yet." Instead, I plan to continue getting back my strength, reflecting on the possibilities, and inflicting this blog on my loved ones. Once I figure out the new me, then I'll figure out where I belong or don't, and I'm pretty sure it won't be Dubuque.

4 comments:

  1. Just as a thought, it is fun to spell Dubuque forward and backward really fast...D-U-B-U-Q-U-E-E-U-Q-U-B-U-D

    I couldn't possibly live there because every time I even saw a sign....that would bounce around in my brain... T-A-M-P-A-A-P-M-A-T does nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. That would of course be an important consideration in my movement or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm, I don't think Shirley or Jane would choose Dubuque! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looked up Dubuque on the net, doesn't look too bad!!

    ReplyDelete