Saturday, August 14, 2010

Waiting for Godot

In college I became quite the expert on Samuel Beckett. This was something that I knew would serve me well in career choices later in life along with my expansive knowledge of Victorian literature. Anyway, Beckett's most famous work was a play called Waiting for Godot, the story of two men who spend their lives standing on the side of the road waiting for the appearance of a never seen man named Godot. Each day they leave convinced he will surely come tomorrow.

I woke up thinking about that play this morning. I started a new chemo drug this week which promises different side-effects than my previous drug. So I sit waiting for them to appear. They didn't come yesterday, but surely they would come today and if they don't, they will come tomorrow. Or maybe they will never come or they will be different than what the health care people promised. So I wait.

In the meantime I distract myself with books and computers and worrying about other things like will my eyebrows make it through this next round of chemo? But really, I am waiting for something that may or may not show up. And regardless of the preparation, I won't be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment