Monday, September 6, 2010

The Return of the Blogger

A lot has happened since my last post. Primarily, I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolisms which landed me in the hospital for a week and then 2 weeks at home, actually at my parent's home. Tomorrow I will return to work and try to resume my life.

I also had a birthday and turned 56 years of age. Three weeks ago this was a major point of contention. When I discovered that my inability to breathe was not going away, I called my mom and said I needed her to come take me to the ER. I got dressed and walked down the stairs of my condo. When my mom saw me she decided to call 911. While on the phone with them, they asked my age, "56" my mother said. And as I sat on the steps gasping for air, I corrected her, "55". She was only off by a few weeks, but still ...

Now, I am 56 and fairly able to breathe and ready to start on the rest of my life, and part of the rest of that life means continuing cancer treatment. I think I learned something from this latest episode, I think I learned that getting well is a viable option. There is nothing morally wrong with resting when you need to and asking for help. It goes against the deeply ingrained Calvinist work ethic that I acquired from my workaholic parents, but I think I don't have a choice. It isn't the big lesson that I am still hoping to learn, but it is this week's lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're blogging again...good luck at work...

    Love,
    Kid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be happy to see you at the "con"!

    ReplyDelete