Sunday, September 19, 2010

Breakdown

I consider myself the queen of sarcasm, the mistress of mirth, the diva of ... well you get the point. Since being diagnosed with cancer, I can count on one hand the number of times I've broken down. Friday was one of those times.

I met with the surgeon, and the good news is, as of right now, I am not having my entire breast removed. However, I am having surgery that will impact the rest of my life. Not in some horrific ways, but in little ways meaning that once I am "cancer free", my body will always carry reminders that I had cancer.

After breaking down I felt ridiculous. I know that there are people whose lives are changed by cancer in ways that will severely impact their ability to live a normal life, and I told the doctor that. His response was this: I have been hit by a bomb, some other person was hit by an atomic bomb, but there is still damage and still a bomb to deal with.

And so I had my breakdown, it is over, and am now looking forward to a time when this is all over, and I will move on to the next challenge. Will I continue highlighting my hair once it grows back? You know, the really important stuff.

2 comments:

  1. If you hadn't broke down I would have been worried. I broke down...I just didn't tell you! I'm only telling you now to remind you...it is, you know, all about me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you soo much!

    ReplyDelete