Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Bare Necessities

I have a two bedroom, two bath condo that is filled with my stuff. Walls of books, cabinets full of shampoo, lotions, potions, and eyebrow enhancers. Photos, knick knacks, cooking gear, everyday plates and china, I could go on. Two weeks ago I moved into a bedroom at my parent's home. There is lots of room but not everything from my condo will fit in here so we have been bringing over the bare necessities. Computers (yes plural), underwear, makeup, medicine, clothes. Ultimately, there is little that I need to survive. (Though I would like all my Jane Austen books nearby just for comfort, but I am learning to cope especially since Price and Prejudice is on my iPod.)

So my question is how much stuff do we really need? There is a lot of sentiment attached to many of the items, but does that make me forget the person who gave it to me? Do I really need 8,000 books that I may read someday? A number of years ago after getting divorced I put most of my stuff in storage for a year while I lived with my parents. After that time, I identified what I really missed and what I had forgotten that I even owned. Unfortunately, I began to acquire new and different stuff.

Now I have to make another choice about what stuff needs to be eliminated or saved. Do I really need a left breast? I've heard the reasons for taking it or leaving it but ultimately the choice is mine. Let's face it, I won't be nursing infants or competing in swimsuit competitions, so is it important that it stays? We grow attached to stuff like books, photos, and body parts. I saved the eyebrows, but may have lost the battle for the ta-ta.

1 comment:

  1. Take it from one who is already lob-sided, ta-ta's are over-rated :) And in fact losing one truly taught me more than having both ever did. I have missed your blog posts; very happy to see them return.

    ReplyDelete