Sunday, September 26, 2010

Being sick

I don't know how to be sick. This is the result of having grown up with a mother who refused to let illness, surgeries, major catastrophes, anything stop her from her daily tasks. Instead of resting, I just feel like I'm being lazy.

This weekend, I finally gave in, somewhat. I sat in bed and read and slept and watched Law and Order and felt really guilty. So today, I insisted that I would change my bed linens. I got halfway through when my mother intervened. I would have made it, eventually, but it was nice to have help.

Tomorrow I will attempt to go back to work and probably make it 4 or 5 hours. And I will feel just as guilty about not doing a full day's work. But I also feel lucky. I have an employer who does not punish me or dock my pay and still gives me health insurance. I wish, however, I knew how be sick and not feel guilty. Oh well, I just asked my mother to make me a grilled cheese sandwich, maybe I am getting the hang of this after all.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I found your blog because I've written a book called How to Be Sick and have a Google Alert set for that phase. Because you use it in your post, I got an email with your blog address in it. I thought that I would mention my book since I've just read some of your posts and several people with cancer have read the book and found it to be very helpful. It's not about muscling through your illness but about how to learn to live well with it. If it's of no interest to you, pass this up. But if you'd like to take a look, I'll leave the address for it at Amazon. I wish you all the best. Toni
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Sick-Chronically-Caregivers/dp/0861716264

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Toni for sharing. I will look it up.

    ReplyDelete