Monday, November 15, 2010

Cancer Part 2

Now that I am officially a survivor, it is time to start the second part of the "cancer experience," recovery. There are the physical aspects which means still more treatment (radiation) neuropathy issues, and hair regrowth. Not to mention the ability to stay awake all day.

Then there are the emotional issues which involves running away from a bad mortgage with all my belongings, and returning to a workplace that has become vaguely unfamiliar. For over six months, whether I wanted them to or not, people have labeled and defined me as a cancer victim. How will they identify me now? How will I think of myself?

When you've gone through something as overwhelming as cancer, it's hard to just pop back into life, to take up where you left off. Everything and everybody looks different. But even more significantly, I am not the person I was. The problem is, I haven't yet figured out who I am and where my new place in the cosmos falls. Whoever the woman I turn out to be is, I hope she has a great head of hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment