Monday, November 8, 2010

I'm a Survivor

Last Thursday my oncologist presented me with the pathology report from my surgery and announced that I was now officially a cancer survivor. Yeah! My cancer has been eradicated by months of chemo, surgery and to make sure it is really dead I am still facing 5 weeks of radiation.

My life is now moving to a new phase as I work to regain physical strength, peace of mind, and hair. The biggest disadvantage of getting cured that I see is I will have to start shaving my legs again.

All the issues that I could put aside now have to be dealt with. No more using the cancer card as an excuse for not participating in life. I have remnants of the experience that are still hanging on, some will be with me for months to come, others for a lifetime, but I am now on a different path. I don't know where I am heading but I know this, my eyebrows are safe.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, don't say that...we can still use the cancer card for awhile can't we? I've got 11 months of classes to take and I'm going to need it. I'm so very happy about the survivor status and I can't wait until you feel well enough to come visit here and we can't start putting the bad stuff behind us but keep the good stuff we've learned. I know I shouldn't be using 'stuff' when talking to a PhD but it works so well. Love you! -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry. I still have radiation and neuropathy to deal with so we've got a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope none of my instructors run into this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete