Saturday, July 24, 2010

Long time no post

Yes I know I am running behind on posting, but in my defense, I have cancer. Using the cancer card sometimes comes in handy. I broke up with the man I was seeing by telling him I had cancer. There were skid marks on the phone. Then a friend of mine wanted to stop seeing someone so I gave her permission to say, "My friend has cancer and I am spending a lot of time taking care of her." At first she resisted, but finally ... Then there are my sister's homework assignments. Truth is, she really is busy taking care of me and gets behind.

It doesn't work with everything though. Did I mention that I may be losing my home? I got into a bad mortgage and at the time, I wasn't quite told everything which is my fault I never knew I needed a lawyer to read the contract, I thought this was a little more commonplace document. Refinancing isn't an option because currently the value is 1/3 what I owe. So now I am trying to do a short sale to a lovely anonymous friend who will in turn rent it to me. If that doesn't work then my next option is foreclosure. In the meantime, I am no longer paying my mortgage. There is no advantage to my paying it, and I was discretely advised not to. Not to mention that the mortgage company, when I tried to negotiate with them several years ago, told me as long as I was paying my mortgage they wouldn't talk to me. They're talking to me now. They don't really care that I have cancer, but oddly enough I understand. It's their job and if they had a choice I'm sure they would be doing something else.

I have lots of choices. I actually have a good job, good insurance, loving family and friends. So I try to have compassion for the people who cannot find any employment except to call people and demand money they don't have. And I have been polite until one young lady asked me why couldn't my husband pay. I called her impertinent, which I doubt that she understood the meaning (OK now I am being snarky). They will continue to call and I will continue to tell them I have cancer, and it won't matter because the cancer card doesn't work with everyone.

2 comments: