Thursday, July 1, 2010

Distractions

In the old days I would panic without a book. That is one of the reason I always carried large purses so I could always have a book on me just in case I was stuck waiting somewhere. On Tuesday when my sister and I went to chemo we carried books, computers, iPods (containing books on tape of course) and Androids. But apparently that isn't enough and now the Android phone has a Kindle application that lets you download books to read. I downloaded a free book "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" which will give me the opportunity to ALWAYS have books with me to read. I need never worry about loading my purse down with books. I have also ordered a cable for my car so that I can play my iPod and listen to books.

Music is OK, especially if I can sing along in my automobile, but I love stories. I love books. I love magazines. I love objects that deliver books and magazines and newspapers to my distracting devices. People have worried about the death of reading with all onslaught of the internet and multiple distracting devices, but now I have more opportunities to read. However, I still enjoy the feel of a book or magazine in my hands and turning pages, while I now have more options to read or listen to books, it will be a long time before I give up on paper.

So when I go to chemo treatments or wait for doctors with too many patients, I am able to lose myself in a book. This is a wonderful distraction that works way better than obsessing over eyebrows or heaven forbid, working. If only I could find a way to have chocolate delivered so efficiently as well, everything would be perfect. Who worries about cancer when you have books.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading A Year in Provence right now. I go to France nightly :)

    ReplyDelete