Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fear of the Unknown

I've never had surgery before unless you count the wisdom teeth that were removed 20 years ago, and I don't. Next Monday I am going to have the lymph nodes cut from my left arm and frankly I am scared. I know thousands of people have this surgery every year and it is probably routine but it doesn't stop me from feeling afraid. I have even had graphic nightmares.

Last Monday I had my pre-op visit and a colleague had hinted that due to my pulmonary embolisms that they might be reluctant to put me under and instead do a local or even postpone. I was livid. I had a schedule and postponement did not fit into my plans. And oh yeah, I really want to sleep through the whole thing. However, though they did question me thoroughly, I was approved apparently based on three factors: my EKG, the ability to open my mouth really wide, and the ability to walk around the mall. As luck would have it I went shoe shopping on Saturday, at the mall. I knew buying shoes was the ultimate in mental health, now apparently it has been proven to address physical health as well.

2 comments:

  1. Shoe shopping = good health. May a your collection of shoes grow on! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love that retail physical therapy :)

    ReplyDelete