Monday, January 3, 2011

A departure from our regularly scheduled program

For those of you who have heard me sing, you would be probably be surprised (horrified is more like it) to know that as a teen I not only sang in the church choir but was in a trio. What's more, I also played the piano and at times even the organ (very badly but they were desperate). In addition to my trio, there were men's quartets, duets, soloists who could actually sing, and various other ensembles that uplifted and inspired. (OK you know I had to do it: Unlike the pop tunes and praise choruses that pass for music today in church which is why I attend the service that has no music. Sorry, rant is over.)

The person who made all this music happen was my friend and hero, Theola. She led the choirs, organized and practiced with the groups, accompanied the singers, all with dignity and calmness. She was a strong woman in an age where women who were leaders were few and far between.

I write this for her because she is one of my regular readers and today is her 90th birthday. I want to thank her for her readership, her friendship and her prayers. But mostly I want to thank her for being a role model and for the music whose memory I still cherish.

Happy Birthday Toadie!

No comments:

Post a Comment