Saturday, January 22, 2011

Setbacks

Several months ago I submitted a proposal to a conference. My chances of it getting accepted were slim, but I needed a goal. Well oddly enough it was accepted so now I am going to present at a conference this April in New Orleans. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, and my thought was with that as a destination it would motivate me to get my strength back, as if it were up to me. Then last Sunday I woke up with a wicked sore throat that turned into a cold which ended up as a sinus infection, and I crashed for another week.

My friends warned me that with a compromised immune system and weakened lungs, I would be a target for every germ within a 100-mile radius. So, it was inevitable, because everyone I encountered the week before had a cold, was getting over a cold, or felt themselves coming down with one. While I suppose that makes sense, it wasn't what I had anticipated. I feel that I have lost a year of my life and am anxious to make up for that lost time, personally and professionally. But little setbacks keep cropping up that inhibit my progress.

I suppose I should be grateful for the progress I have made and believe me, it is substantial, but I know there is so much more to overcome. Right now, my first goal is to be able to walk 1/10 of a mile by April 6. That is the distance from my hotel to the conference site in New Orleans. The good news is that at its current rate of growth, I won't have to worry about messing up my hair. Well thats one thing off my mind.

1 comment:

  1. You will LOVE New Orleans! One of my favorite places to go. Have been to several conferences there and always enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete