Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My new hobby

In times of stress, people often recommend that you take up a hobby. About 10 years ago, I was very burnt out by my job. Knowing that I needed something to do besides fret about work, I decided to get a doctorate degree. I called my advisor on a Tuesday and she told me to come to class on Thursday evening. It was just that simple, really. Then 10 short years later, I had a Ph.D. While I was trying to figure out what to do with it, my body took control of the situation and I was forced to channel my energies in new directions.

There isn't much I can do except fret, but hey, I didn't get a research degree for nothing. So I have been researching my situation in order to diagnose my condition and inform the doctor of my recommendations for treatment. As the date of my appointment grows nearer, my "hobby" has become an obsession. Just this week alone I have decided that I have breast cancer, lymphoma, thyroid cancer, lung cancer, endometrial cancer, and hoof and mouth disease.

Today I met with a colleague with whom I am going to work on a project to educate men about prostate cancer. So I am in the process of learning more about that particular disease. Thinking about prostate cancer was kind of a relief, that was one I could rule out in my obsession for self diagnosis, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Smarty pants! You are so awesome. ;-) Not many people can say getting a PhD is their hobby. At least not any that I know... Well, I don't know many people, but... You know what I'm getting at!

    ReplyDelete