Saturday, June 19, 2010

Accomplishments

Today, I did things. Real things like clean out my refrigerator, straighten my office, buy groceries, and drop off a wig with my hair dresser. My hair dresser is a lovely man who just happens to hail from Saudi Arabia. What makes him even more intriguing is that his wife comes from Peru and so they celebrate Christmas and Ramadan and are raising two beautiful children who speak Arabic, Spanish and English without even thinking about. He has seen a lot of the world, lived all over Europe, speaks multiple languages, but he didn't know how to respond to the wig.

For years we have worked a perfecting a hair style on me that requires no skill to be able to maintain. The wig was a donation through the American Cancer Society and looks like a perfectly fine head of hair, but frankly, it needed an expert touch to get it back into shape, and I knew that wasn't going to be me.

"If I cut it," he says, "it won't grow back." I assured him I was aware, I just wanted it to look nice. He puzzled over it a long moment and then I told him I wasn't expecting it right then, I would come back in a week or so, and he looked visibly relaxed. "OK, call me next week."

I've gone to Aladean for many, many years and all that time he has managed my style, my color, as well as my eyebrows (yes I know, again with the eyebrows, but when my niece comes to town I frequently drag here there to get hers done too, I know, I'm obsessed). But those needs are going away for a while, even my niece is moving to Tennessee so her occasional waxings will be no more.

This was my "farewell" for a while to him. One final style job that will see me through a period of many months. So I left my donated hair in the hands of the man, whom, I realized after I'd gone, I trust more than my surgeon when it comes to cutting things.

Hmmm I forgot, my niece is coming on July 1, maybe one last vicarious waxing.

2 comments:

  1. The wig won't grow back after he cuts it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well here it is July 3 and still no waxing (I prefer the natural look!) Oh well, we'll have to schedule the appointment for really soon in the near future so I can come back and visit soon! This visit is going by way too fast ;-) xoxoxoxoxooxoxo

    ReplyDelete