Saturday, June 12, 2010

Toxicity

For 48 hours after chemo-therapy you are considered toxic. So you take caution and avoid getting body fluids on other people which if you live alone is probably not that difficult. I had thought I would use this time to grow emotionally and spiritually, but instead I have mostly watched TV and read trashy mystery novels and of course Jane Austen. The thing is, I don't know what to do with myself if I'm not working. I could work, I have work to do, but my head really isn't there. There is some fogginess, and some just, not feeling up to doing anything real serious.

It is a rare feeling. After the pressure of writing a dissertation and keeping up with the job, it is odd to just sit back and let things go. And maybe tomorrow I will feel more like returning to doing some work, but I may not. I may learn to make it just a job and not my life. I need something to work towards and some people have suggested that getting well might be the project of a lifetime. I don't know how to do that, since I've never been sick before, but that might be what I have to learn.

So can a compulsive workaholic find happiness not working every moment of the day? I'll let you know, after I start my second job in a few weeks.

4 comments:

  1. You have wise friends. Getting well sounds like the ideal way to spend your time. You will end up with a PhD in Denise. Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to relax and let each day come and go. Nothing wrong with sitting back and taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I love you and am with you thru thick and thin.
    Second, where do you get off calling those wonderful, tasteful mystery novels trashy. Hey I've read them, and I thought you being a PhD recipient would have more litery knowledge than me. Oh well you never know what "learning" sticks with you and what doesn't.

    MD

    ReplyDelete